Griffith Memorial

Baptist Church


About Us

Griffith Memorial Baptist Church


    The first service of what would become Griffith Memorial Baptist Church was held on January 13, 1907 in Rankin Streeet Methodist Church. Mr. Griffith of the First Baptist Church donated property for the building of a place of worship. Upon the death of Mr.Griffith, his wife donated another thousand dollars to the building fund.

   

     On April 4, 1907 the first service was held in the new building located on the corner of Winter and Hunter streets with Dr. W.T. Yarborough, pastor of First Baptist Church, preaching. The church was organized as the Third Baptist Church as it was the third Southern Baptist Church to be located in the city of Jackson as was organized as a mission of First Baptist Church on April 28, 1907. The church called its first "full-time" pastor on January 1, 1908 and changed the name to Griffith Memorial Baptist Church in honor of the Griffith family.

  

    In 1929 the church found it had outgrown its present location and began a building program. On October 26, 1930, the first service was held in the new facilities located at 519 West Silas Brown.

 

    In 1984, a grant from the Mississippi Baptist Convention to purchase the third and present location of the church and a satellite church. The church opened a satellite church on the present location on September 9, 1984. The present facility is the result of a four phase construction plan that began in 1987. Phase One was the building of a "temporary" sanctuary and limitesd classroom and office space; the second phase would consist of the building of additional classroom space. The third and fourth phases were completed simoultaneously with the building of the present sanctuary, office suite, Family Life Center, and the conversion of the "temporary" sanctuary into classrooms. December 16, 1991 marked the first service held in the present facility. The new facility and Family Life Center were officially dedicated on May 31, 1992.

 

    Griffith Memorial Baptist Church is associated with The Southern Baptist Conventions, the Mississippi Baptist Convention, and the Metro Baptist Association. There church affirms the 2000 Baptist Faith and Message.

Original Location circa 1908

519 West Silas Brown location

Present location